Final Fling: Stonehenge!

Of all stone circles, Stonehenge is the biggest and most amazing! Massive rocks moved from other parts of the country about 3000 - 2500 B.C.E. Some of the stones weigh as much as 30 tons! While exact meaning and usage is unknown, it is clear that it was built to align with sunrise and sunset on both winter solstice and summer solstice. A masterpiece of engineering, for sure!

As the largest stone circle, it has so many visitors and no one is allowed near them. Even so, it is awe-inspiring. Doug says he was pleasantly surprised at how impressed he was by this prehistoric monument. It sets my imagination into overdrive, thinking about the people who built such places, how they worked and celebrated, raised families, laughed and mourned, lived and died here.

This arrow is the alignment of sunrise and sunset on solstice.

The likely way stones of this magnitude were moved long distances.

Truly this was a great way to end my celebration of 70 years on this planet, connected to life that has gone on long before I arrived here, that will live on long beyond me. To say that I'm humbled by it all is both cliche and understatement. I'm grateful to be here, even as I am seriously concerned for our collective future. I'll be happy to be home again, better for having been here at Stonehenge, the Cotswolds, the Rollright stones, and Tintern Abbey.

Happy to be here; that's all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London II / Berzerker Rooks

London / Drawing Hope

London IV / H is for ...