A Delayed Train and Tintern Abbey
This was a transition day, moving from the Cotswolds to Cheptow, Wales. Our first train was late and we rerouted, adding more transfers, but arriving only slightly later than anticipated. We quickly checked and dropped our luggage, then caught a local bus to Tintern Abbey. I do love efficient and (mostly) reliable public transportation.
Tintern Abbey! A ruins set in a beautiful valley along the River Wye. I can see why William Wordsworth came here to write poetry, meditate, and rejuvenate. I felt it, too, just being here briefly.
In July 1798, Wordsworth wrote "Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey."
In which the heavy and the weary weight / Of all this unintelligible world, / Is lightened ...
... While with an eye made quiet by the power / Of harmony, and the deep power of joy, / We see into the life of things ...
_______
Tintern Abby (a Cistercian order) was built in 1131, then destroyed in the 16th century by Henry VIII when he decided it was necessary to get rid of Catholicism and confiscate the church's wealth. Also, old Henry VIII wanted to divorce his wives who weren't bearing sons for him.
The Cistercians who lived here were instructed to take in guests by the Rule of Saint Benedict.
"All guests who arrive should be received as Christ, so that he will say, 'I was a stranger and you took me in'."
Wisdom and compassion from the Rule of St. Benedict, which we need more of today.
Comments
Post a Comment